When was the last time you had chicken tikka masala at home? The traditional recipe is not easy, though it’s not difficult; it takes time and multiple steps. But you can also turn this dish into a dump-n-go crockpot recipe with a crockpot chicken tikka masala recipe.
A healthy dinner recipe is easier with a crockpot and a delicious chicken dinner recipe like the crockpot chicken tikka masala recipe. Chicken dinner recipes might be the most popular recipes out there.
One main contributing factor to that idea is that chicken is easy to cook. You can change the seasonings just a bit and get an entirely different meal. Of course, there are complicated recipes out there as well.
But even the complex recipes don’t require a rocket scientist to figure out. What makes them challenging is the number of ingredients that go into the dish. Take chicken tikka masala, for example.
This recipe is a traditional Indian recipe that has made its way around the world. The recipe has changed as it traveled, and now we have a dish that requires a good amount of seasoning, some common and some not so common, and then a sauce with many ingredients.
Ultimately, chicken tikka masala is a dish that requires two recipes, one for the sauce and one for the chicken. But we can turn all of this into a crockpot dump-and-go recipe. A dump-and-go recipe is one that only has you dump the ingredients in a crockpot, turn it on, and off you go.
The crockpot chicken tikka masala recipe is not exactly the same as a traditional chicken tikka masala recipe. However, the flavors are there, and they are delicious. Ultimately, this recipe is one that you will want to make again and again.
Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
The grilling is among the most significant differences between a classic chicken tikka masala and a crockpot recipe. The traditional recipe requires you to kebab the chicken and toss it on the grill. Grilled chicken has a slightly smokey flavor that can be tasted as the result.
But we are not grilling chicken in the crockpot version, so we will lose that smokey flavor a bit. Luckily, we can replicate it with the right mixture of seasonings. That’s why this recipe will require more than a few seasonings.
A little bit of extra effort will result in a delicious weeknight dinner that you can make even with a busy schedule.
- Chicken Breast Filets | The first ingredient is the most important, the chicken. You will need these to be breast filets. You can either filet them yourself or buy chicken breast that is already sliced for you.
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk | This ingredient is for the sauce. The goal is to get a creamy sauce that is thick but not too thick. Coconut milk will help with the consistency of the sauce as well as the flavor.
- ½ Cup Low Fat Natural Yogurt | The yogurt helps keep the consistency where we want it while adding even more creaminess to the mix.
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree | The classic version of chicken tikka masala has a tomato-based sauce. This version uses coconut milk as the base. But we still want that tomato flavor, so puree will do the trick.
- ½ Cup Red Curry Paste | There’s simply no way to avoid using red curry paste in this recipe. Curry packs so much delicious flavor and will help with that smokey flavor we will be missing.
- 30g Butter | Lastly, we have butter which helps with so much consistency of the sauce and the juiciness of the chicken.
There are still plenty of ingredients that will be needed, mainly seasonings. There is a large yellow onion, but the list of seasonings is still long. You will need ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground coriander, paprika, garam masala, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, and minced ginger. These seasonings and herbs will come together really well in your crockpot for a delicious dinner any night of the week.
Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe Directions
Slice the chicken breast filets into bite-sized chunks.
Mince your onion, ginger, and garlic.
Dump all your ingredients into the crockpot.
Cooker for over 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
Garnish with cilantro and serve Basmati rice and some naan bread.
Clean and Healthy Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Chicken Breast Filets
1 Cup Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Low Fat Natural Yogurt
1 Large Yellow Onion
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1/2 Cup Red Curry Paste
30g Butter (Salted)
2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 tsp Ground Turmeric
2 tsp Ground Coriander
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
8 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
2 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- Slice the chicken breast filets into bite-sized chunks.
- Mince your onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Dump all your ingredients into the crockpot.
- Cooker for over 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve Basmati rice and some naan bread.
More Crockpot Recipes
Crockpot Cheese Dip with Beans (No Velveeta) | Cheese dip is a common party recipe but why not make it when you just want a snack?
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Slow Cooker Recipe | Unstuffed cabbage rolls may not sound very appetizing. But this is one of those recipes you have to try.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff with French Onion Soup | You can make an impressive beef stroganoff with the help of French onion soup.
Crockpot Apple Crisp with Cake Mix Recipe | Crockpots can make breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizers, drinks, and even dessert.
Crockpot Sloppy Joes Recipe | Sloppy Joes are the perfect make ahead lunch recipe for summer vacations.